Sunday 19 February 2012

Game Over

Something bad and sad happened today. After a flurry of tube swapping, my antique Grundig CUC 4635 chassis went up in smoke. I left one of the connectors off (not the HV anode though!) after swapping the chassis back from testing a different tube. When I powered on there was a hiss, some smoke and then a sinking feeling in my stomach. I found the burnt resistor and replaced it but it was no use. There must have been some further damage down the line. Since I don't have the skills needed to repair something so complicated I took a deep breath and started tearing it down. I put all the circuit boards in a cardboard box and off it went to the tip with a pile of my other junk. Pretty sad. This was the best chassis I've tried so far and I reckon the chances of another one coming along in this day and age are pretty slim. Luckily, I had just ordered a universal chassis from Jomac so I didn't cry. I guess it was good to get my experimenting out of the way using a chassis I paid $0 for. I still kicked myself though! Oh well. Live and (hopefully) learn.

RIP Grundig

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I have a Grundig TV, and would like to know if you have any Grundig logo Badges?
    I recently restored the outside shell of my TV and the logo on the front of the TV got damaged. I would like to replace the Grundig logo.
    Thank you for your time,
    Charl

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! No, sorry! When I moved to New Zealand I cleaned out most of those bits and pieces. Ask https://www.facebook.com/robert.love.5815 since he has some of my old Grundigs.

    ReplyDelete